Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Che cazzo?

In class last Thursday we were talking about how women influence media and culture, and how culture influences women. After talking about plastic surgery and celebrities we started talking about make-up. After a student brought up that make-up is now marketed to girls as young as six or seven this is what my (female) professor said:

"When I was growing up in the Bronx the only girls that wore make-up before they were in their late teens were the Italians. (Pause) And they were fast. (Longer Pause) Sorry Libby."

What am I supposed to say to that?

3 comments:

Kati said...

my gut reaction would be to punch her, but then my thoughtful reaction would be to ask her why she can categorize all people's actions by their nationality, followed by a question of "does that mean that every single girl who you deemed to be fast Italian?"

shawn said...

...and i'm sure the only ppl that were stealing were the blacks... That comment just displayed her ignorance about the ppl in NYC. I've lived in New York and will tell you that everyone did all those things, wore make-up, big jewelery and the like - irrespective of their nationality or more appropriately - the nationality of their ancestors. That was New York culture not the culture of any nationality. MHO (my humble opinion).

googoobeans said...

Ok, I guess I should have mentioned that I love this professor and she just said that because we are really friendly and jokey so it wasn't an insult. It was just a little strange to say in class.