Friday, October 17, 2008

Full Circle

I do not watch television news. I listen to NPR every morning, and check internet news sites throughout the day. If you know me, then you are aware I hate hearing about weather and rely solely on the weather beacon for updates. One of the reasons I hate local news is that everything has to relate back to Iowa. Every flimsy Iowa link to world events is touted and discussed ad nauseam. It's ridiculous.

That being said, I am now going to tout my flimsy link to the Philadelphia Phillies. Hooray for hypocrisy! Not being able to root for the Yankees, the Cubs, or the Dodgers left me in a bind. I love baseball, and I desperately want to care about who wins the series. Right now my biggest concern is Boston not being in it, but hopefully that won't be a problem for long. Now, why am I rooting for the Phillies? They are the reason I love baseball.

In 1993 I was 11. I don't remember paying much attention to baseball, or particularly caring about it at all. For some reason my family got swept up in that series. Probably my dad was watching it and we all just got hooked. A bitter rivalry formed. My sister, dad, and I were for the Phillies. We laughed and cheered, and Dykstra was our hero. My mom and brother were for Toronto. We mocked them. When the Phillies lost my sister cried and my brother got a Toronto hat he would wear for the next ten years. I learned how much you can care about something you didn't even know existed the week before.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I also rooted for the Phillies in '93. I couldn't stand the Blue Jays. They all seemed cocky and brash. The Phillies were blue-collar dudes like Kruk, Hollins, Daulton, and Dykstra. Man, those were the days!