Monday, December 8, 2008

the one where I lack people skills

Yesterday afternoon I was messing around in my kitchen when someone knocked on my door. As this has never happened in the two years I have lived here I almost fell off my chair. Then I jumped up and looked for a hiding place, realizing I was being totally irrational I then answered the door. It was my neighbor and the following conversation ensued:

Neighbor guy: "Hey, some friends are over making me dinner for my birthday and we need a cup of flour, do you have some?"
Me: "Happy Birthday!"
N" "Thanks"
Me: (sad voice) "Oh, Pearl Harbor day, bummer."
N: "Yeah..."
Me: "So I don't have any flour 'cause I have Celiacs"
N: ....
Me: "But I am making cookies soon, I'll stop by and give you some for your birthday."
N: "OK, sounds good"
Me: (firm) "I'll see you later then."
N: "See ya."

Needless to say I totally forgot to bring him cookies. This is why I don't speak to my neighbors.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you'll always be that girl who owes that guy cookies...

Kat said...

Hahahahaha! When the doorbell rings (which happens about once a month) we never answer it. Well, once in a while Rick will answer it if he has pants on (which usually he doesn't, but don't tell him I told you that). It's always some kid selling some bullshit for school or something and we end up with a $12 bumper sticker. When I'm home alone, I shamelessly do not answer the door. They can go away. Plus, it could totally be rapists or something.

googoobeans said...

I am totally going to give him cookies! Someday...

Growing up we always used to hide when someone was at the door, my dad thought we were crazy but we were pretty sure we were going to get killed. Now it's just my instinct I guess.

shawn said...

what a coinkadink! my door rang around 9pm the other night (and my door bell never, never rings), so i immediately turned out the light, which happened to be right inside of the door (silly me), then i ran upstairs, contemplated, then ran downstairs and answered the door. It was a totally innocuous person but I typically keep the bat cave private to avoid visitors and was caught off guard. I really have to stop sleeping with one eye open.....