Monday, December 15, 2008

Life as we knew it

Life as we knew it
by: Susan Beth Pfeffer

This book was recommended to me by a friend. All he said was that it's a teen book and he couldn't put it down. I was like; "OK, I'm sold!" I got it from the library and started reading. I soon realized that this was not an average teen story and was completely surprised by the plot.

I guess I will have to get into the plot a little, so if you don't want to know anything stop reading now!

So, the story begins with an average teenage girl. Her parents are divorced and she lives with her mom and younger brother in Pennsylvania. Her older brother it away at school. There is going to be an asteroid hitting the moon, and everyone is pretty excited about it. They go out to watch the event, but when the asteroid hits it changes the moons orbit, causing the tides and everything else controlled bu the moon to go out of control. This is bad. Again, I don't want to give to much away, but the rest of the story is about what the family does to survive without stores, gas, electricity, doctors, roads, basically everything.

That being said I should not have read this book. I am already teetering on the edge of doomsday hermit, and this was probably about enough to push me over. I read the tale of survival more as a how-to for when the time comes, not as the work of fiction it was intended to be. I'm trying to force myself not to stock up on canned goods, and am seriously considering getting a gun.

If you think you might like this book, but are interested in a more adult version, I would recommend:
The Road
by: Cormac McCarthy (soon to be a major motion picture!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed it. I think about the book every time I:

*eat something from a can
*get gas
*turn the heat on in the house
*drive a car

It really has an effect on you!

googoobeans said...

I think about it when I:

*see the moon
*go to the canned food aisle in the grocery store
*look in my cupboards

It really does. I've been telling everyone about it.